*

*
*

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Strawberry Icecream

My friend Rob just wrote, regarding some really rare, neat guitars Wurlitzer guitars (Cougar and Wildcat)..the first thing I wanted to say to him, since they are 40 years old was to fix-en-and-play-em...then I checked myself... do I practice as I preach? Well...er...yes... I do... last 15 guitars I must have bought, including a 1987 PRS with a (radioshack) sweetswitch (I didn't know that when I bought it...)... a Black Les Paul from the factory (with frets that were so sharp they could slice vegetables...) which came with little or no setup at the factory... a Sadowsky Strat, with no frets (and no nut) left... to speak of...from years of loving playing..a GVCG that needed a new jack plug, and a professional set up. I fix 'em... I made a rule not to COLLECT them... I don't hate collectors... that is like hating strawberry icecream...because... I hate strawberry icecream. DO keep the parts (for collectors, after you are dead. Live and let live.. as they say, these guys are preserving history...when I DO fix 'em, I have f***ed them...(as far as collectors are concerned)... but why own a guitar if you can't gig it. If my 1987 PRS needs a new volume pot... I will put one in...by the way, VGM (Vintage Guitar Magazine) has an article this month, that states that a guitar with little or no frets, but that is TOTALLY ORIGINAL, but UNPLAYABLE... is worth LESS that if you get a professional refret. All this reminds me that my '59 Rosewood Esquire is only good to worry about right now... what the heck can I do with it? Maybe I can call someone in Aspen or Telluride... at their Chalet..."Old guitar for sale... will appreciate one day, but don't play on stage".