*

*
*

Friday, February 22, 2008

Fretboard Radius...


I have played Fender guitars about my whole life... except for that one trip into Jackson territory in 1987. As you know... I am playing as my #1 right now a Charvel San Dimas Nitro Relic (yep)....I LOVE the feeling of the neck... for me it is a totally different feel to my Fender Tele's/ Strat's... the neck 'feels' flatter...anyway... I can bend notes easier, and when I pick chords with my fingers instead of a pick, everything sounds more 'punchy' and clean... of course this could all be the total make-up of this guitar. It has a great birdseye-maple neck... that feels rock-hard. I found out that if you have a Floyd Rose nut, you need a neck radius around 10" at the neck... with the whole neck staying at 10" radius... except a bottom radius of 16" (very flat) will work... which means it becomes a 10-16 COMPOUND radius neck. This is different to Fender... an old Fender would have a 9" radius... which is very curved. Most steel-stringed guitars have 12" to 17" radius necks. Les Pauls 12". Basically... the LARGER THE NUMBER, THE FLATTER YOUR FRETBOARD will be. An old Fender with a 9" radius is EASIER TO FRET CHORDS... BUT BAD FOR BENDING NOTES... because you ''FRET OUT" (unless you raise the action). OK... maybe too much for today... so look at the attached diagram... then consider yourself on the way to understanding all this...one day ... (this is one of the most confusing topics about gutiars ...)