*

*
*

Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Sweet Lord...

I just got back my Nitro San Dimas Charvel Relic....I swear to God that if I handed this guitar to Eddie Van Halen, I would never get it back... I am sure. That is how amazing it is. Problem: Charvel custom shop makes this amazing color(s) nitro for this series (through Music Zoo)... they also use the most flamey maple for the neck that I have ever seen... except on that Bentley I looked through the windows on, parked on the street.... problem part is... my luthier (who IS Steve Vai's luthier).. told me that it was set up 'mickey mouse'...and he showed me why... frets were loose, the locking nut screws were 'overdrilled' on the back of the headstock (ie. too deep, making the screws stick up too far on the top side)... also Charvel took the rust a little too far (for MY mind, the rust and wear now looks better with a little lube...more like it really was made in the 80's, but serviced properly)...if you get one of these, lube up those rusty parts... no problem.. Kenny set 'er up with .10's and that neck IS like running your hands over a Bentley dash... and the frets are PERFECTLY dressed, to the point that I think that wood came with the frets... smooth as silk. Charvel are genius at LOOKS (the guy that did the aesthetic job on this guitar is as good as the best at the custom shop), but we were wondering (at my luthiers) if the guy who set this guitar up at the factory had even been there a week... total cost: $3195 for guitar and $267 for the set-up... total $3462... but THAT GUITAR PLAYS LIKE ONE THAT COSTS MUCH MORE. Get's my Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval...