*

*
*

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)

Here is information to save you a lot of pain and trouble... first of all... my Country Music Friend always told me to ONLY buy new guitars (He's had a grammy... but not me...). I (up until now) did not listen. My money-in-the-bank guitar... which I got from 'Dealer X' 10 months ago, is not original. It is a '50's Esquire. The seller told me it was totally original. Period. I then took it (not being dumb) to 'Dealer Y' here in California. 'Dealer Y' is a respected guitar store here in California, that someone would trust. (It is NOT Guitar Center... they are great). 'Dealer Y' told me (after checking it out) that it was all original, and when I asked them again... er.. yep... they said it was all original... nothing unusual. Well... sent it to be sold last week... and it IS all original... but over a period of years... ... it also has two holes (NOT original) in the neck pickup route (there was a modification there at one point). Also... I am told that the pots/ capacitor/ switch date to one year. The body and neck date to about 18 months earlier. Apparently... (makes sense)... there is no way for the electronics to be made a year and a half after the body and neck (unless Leo used the neck and body for a paper weight on his desk). There is SOME allowances here (as all Fender experts know... things could be...say.. 7 months off)..Also... the patent stamp on the bridge is wrong (and should be a later one). I have heard of people who apparently can Ebay parts, and assemble original-looking old guitars and make them appear totally original...even to someone supposedly an expert.... WELL THEY CAN. What is the price difference... I don't even want to tell you... between a totally original 50's Esquire, and a 'parts guitar'. I truly thought I had it all covered... even going to a well respected store here, before accepting the guitar. Advice to the wise... only deal with people you KNOW ARE HONEST. I will be staying clear of 'Dealer X' and 'Dealer Y' (dealer Y needs glasses)... sorry I can't tell you their names... for obvious reasons. Caveat Emptor...like Mr Brady said on the Brady Bunch, when Greg Brady goes to buy his first car. ... Next Post... my original 1950 Broadcaster... that I was told was a 'parts' guitar (by an expert)... that ended up being real... and in a book to prove it (Mr Nacho Banos' book)...albeit refinished.