*

*
*

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

GVCG Restoration

So we know that muriatic acid keeps eating away at guitar parts... unless you rinse it off really well. It also ages guitar parts... and makes them look like they are 40 or 50 years old. It ages the metal, and the rubber and the plastic and the wires. It is best when it just ages just the metal. In any case... I sold my GVCG Red Maple Neck tele to Oliver Leiber...a well known a talented musician who 'lives down my hill'... in hippy heaven... Lauren Canyon... Jonathan Wilson has a mailing address there too..(I don't know if he moved there too)... the Zappa Family live there... and the Doors and so many others have made it their home since the 60's. Trouble is, he called me up, and let me know that the pickups had gone kaput. Luckily I had some backup GVCG pickups from Jonathan Wilson (maker of the original GVCG). Oliver came up with his friend, and went back to work like scientists in a lab to restore a very deserving guitar. The 'other' red GVCG (with rosewood fretboard) went to Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen... (who cares about muriatic acid!)... it's only a side effect to true genius... which Jonathan is. His guitars are the hands of some of the worlds most talented musician... Rick Nielsen and Oliver Leiber included...and nobody seems to regret the price we pay... as long as replacement parts are at hand!