*

*
*

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bumper Crop...of My Cr*p

Broadcaster Story.... 'Once upon a time a guy (like me) buys an old Broadcaster... that used to belong to Rich Robinson. I always wanted one... so I traded everything I had for it. I sit by my house, waiting for the Purolator man...to find out at 11:04 am that they have left it ouside another house down the street...er...ON THE STREET... so I run down the street, with no shirt on... looking everywhere... and see the box... leaning up against a wall... in the sun. First impression when I take it out of the box (and original thermometer case)...'nice... it's real... but not original finish'. Immediately I pack-down the finish feeling. Well... I eventually take it down the hill to a recording studio, for my Grammy friend to (possibly) use on his new album. His guitarist says...'feels like a '68 neck... and doesn't sound right either...er...NOT going to use it'. I freak inside, but stay calm and unblemished outside. My friend (the guy with the Grammy... I promise not to keep saying that...) says to take it to his well-known tech, to have him check it out... so I do that. I get a bad feeling when he is nice enough to go through it with me right there... he HAS A BOOK OUT to help identify the decal properly. He says the decal should have a slight 'bleed/ fuzziness' to it. He says mine doesn't. In the end... he tells me that the 'Broadcaster' I have is nothing (in his rough/ honest opinion) more than an $5000-$8000 parts-caster. So I call up the guy that sold it to me, and tell him it's in the mail, with no insurance...and it can get lost for all I care. He DOES refund my money... BUT at the price I bought it at(by then Broadcasters skyrocketed in price). Ok... so I am ok with this... THEN... I see it in Nacho Banos' book... HOLY COW... it WAS real (I knew it... the neck had a special feel... and a unique bevel right on the edge on either side the neck, just by the frets...it also had a very pronounced 'V' shape to the neck...which was correct for a Broadcaster). It HAD been refinished...but the guy that sold it to me HAD refunded my money... I probably should have kept that guitar... so it just goes to show about 'experts'....whew'...