*

*
*

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Letters Section

Dear FCSG & M,
I played quite a few Charvels in the 80's, and (like EVH) to get them to sound great, I would work on my pedalboard set-up, my variac voltage, and my amp. The guitar, for my mind, was nothing but a fairly well made place to put a pickup. I know, they looked really hot, and I could bend notes up in the Vai range, but for my mind they never had the 'tone' of an older Les Paul or Strat... or Tele. There is a 'Duel' in a movie, between the kid from 'The Karate Kid', and Steve Vai... you can certainly play those things mechanically well... but where is the mojo? Is it due to the finish being thicker/ different?
Thanks,

Stevie 'V'


Dear Stevie,

Check out the 'Rocklahoma' site... they didn't want or need mojo.

Thanks,

FCSG & M