*

*
*

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Western Bar

Does bad equipment lead to a bad session? Would Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart have played an out-of-tune upright piano with a broken middle-C in a Western bar if he couldn't find a better gig? Like most, I have owned and briefly played horrible equipment. The traveling 'guitar' that I got a couple years ago was one. If I was alone on a desert island with that 'guitar', I would have used it to dig a hole. It stayed in tune so poorly that it required retuning every 10 minutes. The fretboard felt like it was made of plastic instead of wood. I shall not go on... but did it effect my mental state? Was it a 'bummer'? Frankly...yes. We can all say to ourselves that Muddy Waters in his shack, in Clarksdale, Mississippi in 1925 might have been playing a box with a stick for a neck, and only cat-gut for strings... but he wasn't playing a cheap guitar from China... that box of his must have had more mojo. I am sure Muddy didn't wait long to get himself a real guitar. So go get yourself a real guitar... with mojo. If I handed Muddy that traveling guitar, I am sure he would have made it travel.... out the window.