*

*
*

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Put it ALL in your Listing...Save Time.

I am selling an old Tele on EBay with a neck shim under the neck (see earlier post about neck shims)... Neck shims are all over old guitars, since the necks inevitably finish their 'drying' sometimes on the guitars, and change shape... sometimes beyond the help of truss rod adjustments. The only way to avoid this is to buy an old guitar with a perfect neck, that will probably never change shape again, unless you leave it in the rain, in the garage, or in your car in Vegas for a few days. Another buyer pointed out to me that it might be good to make sure any potential buyers know this, as I neglected to put it in the description... and he is right, and probably saved me shipping it out and getting it back again ( I offer full refunds if not as described, on EBay). What bothers me might not bother another musician... same for the reverse. The guy that sold the guitar to me never mentioned anything unusual about the guitar... including the changed 3-way switch (which is due to Jonathan at GVCG apparently using muriatic acid to age his parts), I just fixed them all, and moved on...but I made sure to mention the other stuff on my EBay listing. The guy who sold it to me also was straight up, and apologized for not mentioning everything. He told me that a working musician had been using the guitar, and that apparently GVCG's do have this muriatic acid situation (this acid is also used to etch concrete). I would say, from my experience, that roughly 1 in 5 old guitars end up with shims somewhere under their necks...sometimes this was done BEFORE they left Leo's factory... ... thanks to the guy who told me to put it in the listing! That not only goes for me... but the guy who sold it to me too... who offered to put it all right... and so would I.