*

*
*

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Lube Job..

If you read all the care-and-feeding manuals provided by guitar manufacturers, you know that they recommend
doing all sorts of things to your guitar, sometimes every time you change the strings. You are meant to get out
all sorts of things... even 3-in-1 oil... a thing I never previously wanted in the same room as my guitar. Even
though my guitar does have metal and plastic parts, I still think of it as a fine instrument... just like any other
musical instrument. Apparently, the fretboard needs frequent oiling...but with lemon oil '.. to remove perspiration and oils from playing'.
It looks like I would be rubbing, oiling and shining all day... more than my Dad had me doing as a kid Saturday morning, on
his car, and on our house... Truth be told... many luthiers and writers agree... your hand oils naturally help preserve
your fretboard, and apart from a tiny amount of a drop or two of oil in those tuners every long once and a while, not
much is really required for your guitar. A good set-up is required. No... unless you are a stage musician, you do not
need new strings every night. That 50's Tele found in someone's closet can look great... and play great...even though
there wasn't someone shining and cleaning it every few minutes. I guess all this does help the 3-in-1 oil company sell
more oil... (and the lemon oil people too).