*

*
*

Friday, January 25, 2008

Bad Frets....

First of all, go here (Rich Beck Guitars). This guy knows what he is talking about, when it comes to frets. This actually happened to me, buying a used instrument. The guy selling it to me (a die hard musician) had one last play of his guitar (claiming it sounded so good), and then handed me the guitar, and then I handed him the cash. I only say he 'claimed' it sounded good, because when you read the article in this link you see that a musician doesn't even know his guitar is sounding bad, until he plays another friends new guitar, with a good set up. Well, I get the guitar home, and my session friend and I notice that the action is VERY low, and the frets pretty dead (no more left on them). The article mentions this... that the first thing most of us might do when our frets get low, and the guitar sounds bad, is we might get the action lowered... which actually leads to the guitar sounding even worse... anyway... I highly recommend everyone reading this article...so go...