*

*
*

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Practice, Practice...

I recently have been thinking of someone I know who composes on their piano. They practice for a good part of six hours a day. That is my goal... practice my guitar for six hours a day... just like Jimi Hendrix supposedly did. If you hear the stories that have outlived Jimi, he slept with his guitar, and it became a part of his body... trouble is Isaac Hanson, of the band Hanson, got a blood clot in his right arm, that caused painful swelling. He attributed the clot to playing his guitar for long periods of time on tour, without moving or changing positions. I have not heard of this problem with piano composers. The guitar requires a more unusual body position than a piano... even though the Gipsy Kings may make it look relaxing. (Yes, I actually did spell Jimi and Gipsy the way the artists had it). The guitar and the piano are different instruments, and I may have to make concessions to my practice sessions... or at least move around a bit between my sets at home, in front of my dog. At least he stays for the whole set.