*

*
*

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Rust

So I am still testing my Charvel Nitro Relic guitar. When I got it, she had a wonderful birdseye maple neck (rock hard), and a great 'Relic' coral-red nitro paintjob. I noticed something familiar about the smell of the paint job... since it is still giving off a 'new smell'... and finally noticed it is the same way early vintage cars smell, when they sit in the sun... old Model T's and the like were actually painted with the same nitro. When I took it down to be set up (at Performance Guitar, in Hollywood...the best)...a couple frets were lifting up off the fretboard, and the hardware was actually so well aged that it was at risk of 'freezing up'. Performance lubed things up and made sure it would all work professionally for years to come.. and as you remember, it actually looked even more authentically 'old'. Well... I am by a seaside town right now, and the little screws holding the pickup cover on are actually getting 'dew' on them, and have so much rust that the screw holes are disappearing, and look even more authentic than a Relic Strat. I guess this means this guitar is heading towards really becoming an old guitar sooner than expected... I am very happy with it.. rock on.