*

*
*

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Nez2

Anyway, so my initial reaction that it might have been a real Monkee driving me downtown was definitely offset by the fear that I had someone else. Michael mentioned a movie that came out a few years ago about a manufactured band, and I mentioned how obviously, the mainstream idea is that the Monkees were 'manufactured' by Hollywood. So was Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, and other notables for my mind, who couldn't sing or compose. What do you do... did you do it well? That is all that matters. Errol Flynn came up... because he used to live across the street from me, long before I moved here. He always wanted to be a writer...and was slightly ashamed that he was only a 'matinee idol', who never really (as he apparrently said) 'Won a war single-handedly'. If we all live to be 100, we should realize that what we are and what positive effect we have on the world is all that really counts. I told Michael I was a jet pilot, and he told me a story of how once he was taught in a matter of hours to solo a Sopwith Camel Biplane...and they are 'mushy' on the controls at slow speeds. We spoke of Robby Krieger... and how impressed I was that the other 'Doors' had wanted to 'sell out' to Cadillac with one of their songs, but Krieger wouldn't do it. Not even for millions. (The Doors signed a pact at one point that any one of them could 'veto' the sale of their songs). Krieger eventually must have given in though, because I heard a Doors song on TV the other day... either in a commecial, or in a series... I told Michael I found this was disappointing. He said the Monkee's had a song in Shrek, and it had really helped them. He brought up Video production, and how California was the biggest producer of Videos, in the Valley. I mentioned that I would have to explain to my wife that a 'Monkey had helped me put my bag into the limo'...(cliche, I know)...then felt badly...mentioning as an excuse that when I fly jets I also have to carry bags for the clients, (besides fly 5 million dollar planes safely)... I asked him if Charlie Manson actually tried out for the Monkees, and was corrected that in fact Manson had tried out for the Beach Boys. I also mentioned a house I had seen recently, belonging to either Jan or Dean (of Jan & Dean), and Mike said it had to be Dean, because Jan died...then when we arrived, and it came time to get the bags out, he got my bag out for me (I couldn't find the latch). He also had told me he still lifts amps with his Roadies when on tour. He's a 'cool' guy to meet....