*

*
*

Saturday, March 29, 2008

EVH



When the EVH Frankenstein Strats came out... I ran down to the Hollywood Guitar Center like a kid to get the latest G.I. Joe...(in the late 70's).  It was in a big glass case... going round and around (where Blackie had been before... the REAL Blackie, that Hollywood Guitar Center owns).  It looked so lifelike, I had to have it.  I asked how many they had, and what the price was.  They said they still had a 'few' left (for advance purchase), and that it was $23,000.  (WOW... I thought... they are MEANT to be $25,000).  Tempting, but at the time, it was still better (if you had $23,000) to buy a Vintage Tele.  So I passed on the chance.  A few months ago, I came across one of the Charvel guitars that are HAND STRIPED by EVH himself, custom painted at the factory, and then played by EVH himself in concert.  (He seems to play each guitar for at least one song, and averages two 'sellable' guitars per concert).  The guitar comes with a photo of EVH playing YOUR guitar.  Anyway... I got one (see photo).  I got it for about 1/3 the price of the Frankenstein Guitar I had looked at in the store ... and guess what... my guitar was PLAYED by EVH... I think everyone who loves guitars is now must face this choice...do I save up and buy a great copy, that was never anywhere near a great guitarist... or do I spend a lot less, and get a little tiny piece of history that has been played by 'a master'?  Sorry to say, most people who bought an original Frankenstein Strat (Frankenstrat), at over $20,000, now are forced so sell them on EBay for much less... possibly due to the new choices out there from Charvel that are competing with them.