*

*
*

Monday, March 3, 2008

Nuts

What is your nut made of? Masterdon...tusk ivory... that slippery stuff they name that sounds like tusk but is something else...or...titanium? Which one sounds best? People swear by titanium... at least many artists. I feel it's not so much what it's made of (avoid wood)... BUT how well it is made. How well are the grooves for the strings spaced? Luthiers (from what I can determine) have a set of about 4 files they use to make those grooves in the nut, where your string should gently rest, with a perfect fit. That groove must not be too narrow, not too tight, not too low, and not too high...also, I once had a very well known luthier/ ex-masterbuilder make me a 5- string tele. Well... he didn't really make it... he RE-made it. He took an old Nocaster from 1951, which had a serial number in the 500 range... and stripped all the clear poly off it (it had been refinished...!!)...but he made all the grooves in the nut the wrong distance apart. Luckily... my local luthier pointed this out, and made me a new bone nut for my guitar...(which I sold a short time afterwards). So it's not WHAT it's made of... but HOW. (My favourite and ONLY choice is BONE... the real ones, like in legally harvested ivory).