*

*
*

Friday, September 21, 2007

The Transformers!

When we were all 17, we loved to make things our own... skateboards, hats, jackets, hair.... and, er... Guitar. We liked to do the Eddie-Van-Halen... change the color (with Rustoleum?), change bridge to a Floyd-Rose, add a humbucker, quick-release strap locks etc. Sort of like buying a VW and changing it into a Lexus,no? Waster of money maybe...yes. Teenage ideas one thing, but we are wiser now. Why not buy the gear you want from the start? People at Fender have made it easier for us: Fender has a Tele with humbuckers for those who miss a Les Paul (1 or 2, your choice),and a Tele with a Bigsby Vibrato (for those who miss a Strat). We are born and raised to be individualists, and make things our own... but here it is better to buy-it-right first time. If I take my Telecaster and put my own Bigsby on it, and change my humbucker to a Lollar, put titanium nut on the neck, and then install fat frets, maybe it will indeed be my dream guitar... cost to build this 'Dream Guitar'... (if the Tele was a custom shop guitar) might be over $4K. Value of said guitar now (when I want to sell it for something new...well...that depends... where did my twin brother go?