*

*
*

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Looks Aren't Everything but...

... they sure help. With each new guitar purchase a musician has judged an instrument, based on sight, sound and of course price. What if a 1973 Les Paul sounds great, but weighs way too much? How about a guitar that sounds and plays amazingly (like the neon-refinished 1953 Blackguard I got for $5000 a few years ago and sold again), but looks ugly? The question is "Why does Ronnie Wood love his Zemaitis Disc Front so much, and does it actually play well too (besides look great)? We sit down with fellow musicians and lament about the tone, the sustain, and how that is all that really matters. We become the purist..but admit to yourself... each decision about a guitar is about many different things we judge each guitar's worth on... including how it LOOKS (admit it). I just evaluated two guitars by the same maker... I was looking for the one out of four that sounded the best (for ME and my ear). As usual, the one that sounded the best, looked less attractive, and the one that ...well... you got it. I chose based on sound, and played that guitar for a while, but in between playing, as I was running my hand over the finish, I decided that the one with the better finish sounded just as good UNPLUGGED, and it was only lacking a bit when put through my amp.... and I missed it..the look. So may we all have the luck to find an instrument that LOOKS, PLAYS and FEELS like Blackie, but without Blackie's price.