*

*
*

Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Guitar Zone

"In the game that is life there are six ways to roll a seven. Tumble the dice down the felt and what are your odds of winning? Remember... the house always has the odds... but if you are lucky, you can beat the house. As a student in the game of life, a lesson to be learned... in the Guitar Zone". When you buy a guitar from a Guitar Dealer, who is to be trusted? You send them a personal check, and talk them into another $100 off, since you are not using credit cards, and you also get them to pay for the shipping too... will they get your guitar out to you on time....at all? Ok... melodramatics for the skittish in the Guitar Zone...I sent a lot of money a year ago to a guitar dealer who I saw on-line. I had googled the vintage guitar I wanted, and he came up, with nice color photos of my future guitar and all. I also found him in my Guitar Magazine, as a regular advertiser. I then called him, and he was the nicest guy on the phone, and I sent my check. He promised the guitar would go out after the check had cleared... instead, after a week... he took off to Cabo. I called his store (a big store)... and got one of his many assistants.. who kept telling me that nothing was wrong, but my guitar was 'locked up' and the boss was in Mexico. The assistant apologized, and did admit the situation was weird, especially since my check was fully cleared now, and I had no guitar. Next, I went to Google, and did what everyone out there should do... I googled "Guitar Store's Name.... followed by the word "complaints"..."..I did get some people complaining about the sales help being aloof, (unless you are from a well-known band making a seven-figure salary), but nothing else. This partly put my mind at ease...long and short of this... I eventually got my guitar, after another week, 6 nights without much sleep, and I also got one free t-shirt, with the name of the guitar store on it for my troubles (my dog Elvis is sleeping on it). So I spent my 3 weeks in the 'Guitar Zone', but you don't have to... remember, also google "Name of the guitar store... and other words too, like ....bad, cheat, dishonest, loser....". I am not being negative, these words are only for everyone to know what to put in to get info out, to avoid a one-way trip to the Guitar Zone. Happy shopping...