*

*
*

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Case-In-Point/ Peter


How about all the things that can hurt your electric guitar (or Acoustic guitar)?  We all think of them, but we don't totally believe they are true.  I keep most of my blinds shut in my guitar room... since I have heard that direct sunlight hurts not only the finish on a guitar, but also heats the guitar up and hurts the overall guitar itself.  I opened my blinds today, and briefly was of the mind that Muddy Waters probably put his guitar down on his front porch, in direct sunlight... and it actually sounded better.  After this brief thought, I shut my blinds again.  ALL necks, for instance, end up with warps, twists and bows... most are easily fixed, with a minor truss rod adjustment.  More major repairs require heating and reshaping.  Wood is alive, and to believe your neck should always be razor-straight is incorrect.  Even if your guitar is kept in a good environment, these things can occur. Each neck is an individual... and that individual needs (along with the whole guitar) to be kept away from: direct sunlight, radiators, heating vents, attics, car trunks, damp cellars... and also away from direct sunlight when in their black cases (most guitar cases are black).... if unnecessary damage is to be avoided.  No... these things will not relic a guitar... they are more  likely to RUIN your guitar.