*

*
*

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Great Performances


How many guitars do you own?  How many of them do YOU think sound great?  How many of them do OTHER PEOPLE tell you sound great? I think only ONE of them matters... the one YOU like.  Most of my guitars are nice... play ok, look even better (sometimes).  There is one acoustic and one electric though that really RINGS (a Beck Tele & a Versoul Kenny Burrell). They are the ones that another musician would agree sounded great... that ANY musician would agree sounded amazing.  I have no idea what really goes into a guitar that sounds wonderful, and has sustain that lasts for ever... vs. one that is dead and has zero sustain.  It's all wood... and all the same pieces put together... from the same factory.... but like the great steak you had the other day on the bar-b-cue, something just went very RIGHT when it all came together... like a great performance. I have no idea what that unknown quantity is... and I never will... but I can still tell one from the other.