*

*
*

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Bread


People don't want the good times to end.  My issue of VGM (Vintage Guitar Magazine) mentions unheard of auction prices for vintage instruments (see 'The Value of Actual Sales Data', p.92)...that were achieved... in OCTOBER 2007. Vintage guitar prices hit (for my mind) an all-time high last October, then fell slightly in November, then fell sharply in December 2007.  The article mentions a 1955 Les Paul that sold for $70,500 (an all-time high, for my mind) on October 14th. Now, in April 2008, I feel we are sitting around wondering if the vintage guitar bubble has burst.  Apart from the dates mentioned... all this sounds a little like the current housing market.  Why am I, as a player, talking like this... will Nick write to me in my 'letter' section again, and tell me that I make him puke?  Of course he will... but a lot of musicians are not wealthy, and don't want their beloved guitar going from 17K to 8K.... and as everyone knows, most musicians keep their money IN their instruments..not under their beds.... some things near and dear to every musician's heart are women, guitars, booze, food and shelter... not all in that order, but close.  I feel if I continue to talk about how to tune your Floyd Rose and also my love of all things Charvel, I might be just a little in denial about what REALLY is on all our minds...... bread.  We all need a little bread to eat....man.... so this really hurts.  I still have one 50's guitar for sale at my local guitar store.. but she ain't movin' on down the road.... if she doesn't sell soon, I am tempted to sand her neck, give her jumbo frets, and do a Jeff Beck...hey... they were all meant to be played... and maybe I can find some bread somewhere else...