*

*
*

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Relic Guitars

Jay Munn Guitars (http://www.jaymunnguitars.com/)is another guy who will in his case actually relic YOUR guitar, to fit YOUR playing, as if you had played it for the past 40 years. He sums up well on his home page why relic guitars might make sense. As you know, I have been indecisive about whether relicing a guitar (beyond neck feel) actually makes any sense. I just admitted to my friend Rob that I indeed had 'fallen off the wagon' a short while ago. I had contacted the Music Gallery (a big Fender Custom Shop Dealer), regarding making me a Jagstang (like Mr Cobain's). I wanted one made in the good old USA. I wanted it in 'Blackie' black, with an aged, well worn neck feel. Then I let it all hang out... I added that they should distress and age the guitar with everything they could throw at it in the custom shop. (This would have been one b*tchin' guitar). The custom shop contacted Mr Cobain's girlfriend, but since the 'contract' for them to produce Jagstang's had expired, my idea was (for unstated reasons), not going to be allowed. BUT... I had asked for 'relicing' on the body... does this really make a difference? Whenever there is some new trend...it is hard, at the time, to tell if it is an artistic trend, or a 'collector' trend sometimes. Keith Richards and Andy Summers are playing reliced guitars (to replace their old ones on tour). What's the use of beating up a perfectly good NEW guitar? Mr Munn sums it up on his website....to quote... "...If you're a manic vintage guitar guy like I am, you know that there is something incredibly cool about a heavily-played, well-worn guitar.
The neck feels great in your hand - the worn body contours fit your body. The guitar takes on a character and a personality". I am still on the fence (or on and off the wagon on this one)... but if REAL vintage instruments are going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars, it may be what we are all looking for.