*

*
*

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Point Taken....

Please check out my friend Rob's info about Silvertones, Harmony's and more: http://www.myrareguitars.com/silvertonerare.html
He makes a good point in one of his posts... (see them all here:http://www.myrareguitars.com/guitar-articles.html). As I posted a week or so ago... there is NO formula for a great guitar really... and money seems to play less into that equation than someone might think. Like most people as a kid, I wanted a Fender or a Gibson, (or if it was the eighties... a Jackson or PRS). If I was smart money, I took my $1400 in 1986 and bought an old Broadcaster. If you buy 'Relic' guitars, in the high-end price range, you can certainly increase your odds of finding a great sounding guitar, without too much effort going from store to store and sitting on lots of guitar stools... but SMART MONEY can certainly get a great guitar for less money than that. Fender (I am sure) would even admit this. Rob says something to the effect that relic guitars are dumb... Musicians self-immersed in how they look are a little dumb. (Poison were sort of cool though). Remember... the point of this BLOG is to let everyone know Fender makes some great guitars, but you will have to be ready to go for some of their high-end stuff. Do I personally care about 'Relicing'... well...er... yes... personally... but only for the FEEL. Fake visual ageing is not my personal gig... but a nice old feeling neck is... A $300 Harmony might have a similar feeling neck by the way....What I believe is that Fender IS making some great guitars right now... new ones. Their 'thin skin' guitars seem to be taking a little flack. Some people say if you put almost no paint on any piece of wood, it will sound good. Some point to them being overpriced. These guitars also do cater to some people who want a lot of 'glam' relicing....thanks Rob...MORE LATER........"Nothin' But A Good Time".....