*

*
*

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Button of Choice



I found out today that my 1955 Esquire has been modified... just a little... to the tune of those little buttons (two of them) that are used to attach your guitar strap to the guitar. Somebody wisely added Schaller strap locks. Apparently, if you are a collector, this is not good. I am not a collector (hence none of my cases are correct for any of the years of my guitars). But if I was... to find replacement 'buttons' is not as easy as it seems. The button in the photo above, on the blond guitar, is a 1950-1951-style strap button...or the 'first type'... the original 'steel rod' is nickel plated with a sharper top edge and a flat base (apparently). I have illustrated some later strap buttons, including the 1970's ones... with 'fatter' dimensions. What does this mean to the sound or feel of your guitar? Apparently nothing. It also means the thing doesn't fall off your shoulder though.