*

*
*

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Je Ne Sais Quoi?


Like the song says... "Who Do You Love?"... I have two wonderful, amazing guitars... both owned by very successful
musicians before me. Each musician would have said their guitar was amongst his favorites (when he owned them). I have taken each of them away with me and played the heck out of them. One seems to be like an extension of my own body... each string resonates, and each minute I get to play that guitar is heaven... meanwhile, my wife says that the other one is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned... but the second guitar doesn't yet feel like an extension of my body. The one that sounds so good to me is a joy to play, and I would happily pay for each minute I have with it... just like that girl in 12th grade you never got. It must be some je ne sais quoi ... in addition to a basic, great sounding guitar... that makes for this magic. I can understand why BB King felt he had to name his guitar Lucille. The musician that has never felt like naming a guitar, has never met his or her true love yet. (ok... blech!...as Mad Magazine used to say). People say "sell me that guitar that sounds so good in Keith Richard's hands", but a lot of that mojo may still stay with Keith. I can't explain why the last three or four guitars only sounded great when I got it all just right... right time of day, right mood, right amount of being tapped in... and yet, this current guitar sounds so great at any time of day. UPDATE: Finally got used to the neck and specific sounds on the second guitar, and now can say I have two to love.... everyone should be so lucky (as they say).