*

*
*

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Pickup Problem...

I just found out that the TV Jones™ pickup I was going to put into my next T-Style Guitar was made for a semi-hollow body guitar. Without being a total pickup nut, if you go to the TV Jones website and look through the pickups, and order one, most people could make this mistake... so DON'T. Meanwhile, I am going to try one or two Lace™ alumitone humbuckers, which seem to have great reviews on Musician's Friend. They are made of aluminum, and are therefore lighter than regular humbuckers. In addition, it says that the pickup uses 90 percent less windings, and is current driven, instead of voltage driven. I will keep all posted on how this turns out. Also, coming up... what happens when someone takes standard 10-46 string sets, and decides to have a little 'tweak'... by making them 10-50 (.10,.14,.20w,.28w,.40w and .50w).UPDATE: Tom at TV Jones got back to me immediately. He advised that the pickup and set up I got would be right for a Tele: "You ordered a TV Classic neck with no ears and short pole screws. Most people that use the TV Classic for a Tele neck position use the no ears short screws version."