*

*
*

Saturday, November 17, 2007

EPIDEMIC!

OK.... it's official... the distressed/ reliced/ destroyed guitar market for 'T' Style and 'S' Style guitars has now gone epidemic. What do I mean... I mean I have been on line, and have come to the conclusion that the number of people who have gone to their garages, and decided they can do it as well or better than Jonathan Wilson did (of GVCG fame... who made guitars in his apartment in Greenwich Village some time ago) has been increasing exponentially. But why not? If I am artistically inclined, and live in a small town in America... I have already been down to my local Walmart to look for a job... the good news... YES, they are hiring... but at minimum wage... and NO, you cannot have creative input. Smart money; I buy 'Fender licensed products'...like necks, bodies and jacks... and call up Mr Lollar... and get a big bucket full of dirty water and put it in my back yard. I dump all the metal parts I buy in the bucket, and leave nature to do it's work for a month or two. Meanwhile, I take some nitro-spray-painting lessons with Jack at my local autobody spray paint shop... and I call up my friend who does web design to do me a site. I go into business making guitars... I wake up happy, sand and spray necks and bodies, get another friend from my local Sam Ash to help assemble the parts, and BINGO... I don't need to sell my soul to Walmart. Some of these people are truly going to pan out to be sheer genius (usual story)... and most will be lost in the pages of history... how do you tell the wheat from the chaf? Keep your eye's and ears open, and play many different makers guitars... also keep an open mind... diamonds are lying all around you... pretending to be plain old rocks.... lesson for the day, in the the twilight zone...