*

*
*

Friday, November 2, 2007

Guitar Hospital...

Thanks to the wonderful people at Performance Guitar in Hollywood, the GVCG is now (amazingly) set up with low action and .11's. Jonathan (at GVCG) was wonderful at making every little detail EXACTLY like an original old Tele... apparently he even used old fashioned wiring and 'grommets' on the pickups. As I say, every little detail was attended to, including the RUST. I knew what I was getting into though... I have always wanted to own a GVCG, and would certainly go after another one for Christmas... if possible... but they are very hard to find. Most musicians who find them never let them go. After Performance Guitars working magic on it, it now plays the way I want it... only thing left to do is to plug it in. It now has a shim under the neck, between the body, that is barely detectable (looking on from the side of the guitar). I have done much reading on the topic...and less contact between and bolt-on neck and the body supposedly will decrease the 'woody' tones (think Les Paul sounds), and increase the twangy 'punchy' sounds some old Tele's have, so my fingers are crossed. Apparently, shims are normal, if a luthier runs out of other options to get your neck adjusted correctly (think action height down the neck here). As I say... I love it now... but have to give credit to the guys at Fender for no rust in their guitars too.