*

*
*

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Real Broadcaster Neck



I just saw on-line that someone has taken all the measurements from early Broadcaster and No-Caster necks, and come up with a copy of the 'average' clubby neck from that period... but I bet they forgot something. I once owned a real-to-God Broadcaster (it was in the Banos Blackguard book too). If you look at the arrows on this diagram, you can see (I hope) how an early Broadcaster neck (from when they were totally hand-carved... basically) had a slightly flat area on each side of the fretboard (which I actually miss on more modern Tele's). If you don't get an original Broadcaster, or alternately have someone customize a neck to your liking, you will not find this shape anywhere. In addition, the bottom of the neck (where it fits in the palm of your hand) had a pronounced 'V' shape that you could definitely feel as you played it. To tell the truth, the neck also was not as 'fat' as some 1953 Tele's I owned... granted my Broadcaster neck wasn't as thin as a late 50's Tele (for sure, as they can be really thin)... but since they were all individually shaped back in 1950, there was a lot of variation between necks. I do miss my Broadcaster... even if the body was a 'refin'....it's all about the sound and feel (as we know).