*

*
*

Friday, August 21, 2009

Heavy Bottoms...


Yes... I bought one of these EVH aged and signed humbuckers. It sits in my drawer along with all the other pickups and odds and ends that I always like
to have handy, in case the end of the world comes. Some people want food supplies in their garage, and lots of water... for
me it's 1963 Strat jacks, early blackguard wiring pieces and lots of odd pickups with special sounds... talking about sounds...I have been reading a bit on-line about the early EVH sound. I seem to have the same feeling most people do... that the average 1959 humbucker copy has lots of output, along with heavy bottom edge tone. But I get tired of heavy bottom edge tone after a while. EVH's early version of the humbucker also has a great clarity and lively "punch". Part of this (granted) is the way EVH hits the strings with all those harmonics. If you want this sound without paying more than you have to, Seymour Duncan has their "Custom Custom" pickup, which is priced at about twice the regular one, but at $140 not bad (you can get it for less, read more), for that 'early' EVH sound. Their website lists players of this pickup as Josh Homme/ Michael Wilton of Queens of the Stone Age/ Clint Lowery of Queensryche. I just got the Black/ Bridge one with no logo for $82.95...from Musician's friend. It's going in my drawer.