*

*
*

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bones...

How is your bone nut... or maybe it's plastic, brass or even graphite. If it's bone (for tone... and my favorite)... then maybe if it's on a 50's Fender guitar, it's worn out. If it's any of the other materials, it might be poorly made. Did you know that a badly worn or poorly made nut can ruin your Electric guitar's playability
and tone? Hand fitted nuts for your guitar take at least an hour to be made... to be fitted to your guitar properly.. assuming the person knows what they are doing. To check to see if your nut is overly worn... fret each string at the third fret, and then try and slide a piece of regular paper (a little piece) between the fretted string, and the first fret. If the piece of paper doesn't slide right in, you may be looking at buzzing on the open strings (either now, or soon) which will require someone (skilled) to install a new nut on your guitar. As I say, I love bone nuts... but graphite also has it's place... I have owned guitars with graphite nuts, and many professionals swear by them. I tend to only like my plastic on my cars, and I limit plastic on guitars to where absolutely necessary.