*

*
*

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Still Fretting?


Did you know if you refret your guitar with wider frets the tone will probably change? In general, a refret will make the tone of your guitar slightly 'brighter' (ie. treble with bass and mids supporting). Sometimes a neck is also stiffened by a refret, which can also affect tone... even changing your tuning machines can affect tone. If you put keys that are heavier on your guitar, it can also change the balance, and make your headstock heavier (as in when Dickey Betts replaced his standard Les Paul tuners with Grovers... I owned a Dickey Betts copy, and it actually sounded great). If you decide to go with stainless frets (to prevent wear) they are harder than nickel silver ones... they will also not oxidize, and will have a slicker feel... and also a much longer service life. I personally don't like stainless frets. Apparently they will change the tone a little compared to nickel silver frets... but still less than changing the saddles or pots on the guitar. If you currently love your tone I would suggest a refret (when absolutely necessary) with the exact same size frets as you currently have... also make sure not to get cheap here... get the best luthier you can find to do the job. Also, you might want to note for future reference that excessive fretwear can be avoided by playing your guitar with a lighter touch... I tend to wear out my frets almost every 6 months (with daily playing), and have found that I can actually move my hands more swiftly on that neck when I lighten up my grip a little... and don't use my hands like a capo.