*

*
*

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"Instant Collection For Sale"


Sounds great... right? Maybe not... Say you get a RR-1 Randy Rhoads, a Fender CIJ MIJ 62 RI Tele from Japan, a Sharpsicle 26 String Lap Harp, a rare Elvis Presley 4 String Toy Guitar, a Fender 1977 Sunburst USA Strat EC w/HSC, and an amp with no name....all for $6700. Do you even know if you got a bargain or not? Would you want all those instruments? Would you individually pay that much for all of them... or even seek them out if found one at a time? A dealer might buy the group if he wanted two of the guitars, and planned to discard the rest. The Strat looks nice to me... I don't really know what CIJ stands for with the Tele... I know MIJ stands for 'Made in Japan'...I've never played a 26 String Lap Harp... and maybe never will (my loss). Truth be told, unless you are a dealer, the fun is in the actual collecting (as a player too). I just saw a guy on EBay selling a prototype Les Paul so he can afford to pay off a newly aquired 1983 PRS (sound familiar....? Next year it might be reversed, when he sells the PRS to get back a Les Paul). The chance of two people on the planet having the same 5 dream guitars (in a collection) is pretty slim... probably over 10,000: 1. The amp though might actually work.....and I do like the sound of that Strat. (My safe money is on the bet that my friend Rob R. knows the name of the guitar in the picture above).