*

*
*

Saturday, June 21, 2008

CASH



My perspective on how the 'recession' is affecting guitars is as follows....  every dealer I have called to 'trade' a guitar this month, has insistently said that the guitar I am offering to trade is 'not what he is looking for'... likewise, like the local car dealer... whatever he has for sale is a 'real gem'.  Ok... that's what capitalism is all about... whatever the store is selling is valuable, and whatever you have to trade is 'cr*p'.  But it has never (for my mind) been this difficult to trade... and I don't own lemons.  Dealers only want c$sh right now... NO trades (from my survey this month).  It used to be that they didn't want your lap harp... (not to keep picking on lap harps)... in trade for a Les Paul or Tele.  Now they don't seem to want your Tele in trade for a Tele.  I went shopping last night at 9pm, when the 'Valley' in California was still hovering at 94 degrees...  and the supermarket was deserted... I don't know if this was due to the weather, or the 'recession'... but for my mind... the supermarket was air conditioned.... so it must be the recession. I feel that is why the dealers need c$sh... c$sh for rent, c$sh for gas, and c$sh to buy new instruments from manufacturers... to generate more c$sh.  So folks... that 1993 Tele you want to trade may have to be put back in the closet... or just plain played.