*

*
*

Monday, November 17, 2008

Fires



We all do it... play the cruddy ones, and store the 'gems' away.  I always make the excuse that when my skills meet some as-yet-undetermined level, I will have earned the right to play my most valuable guitar... but until then, all guitars are the same... it's all in the set-up... right?  WRONG.  I decided (as the California fires continued their way towards my door) took out my most valuable guitar. I mean, if it might be going up in smoke, why not enjoy it a little first?  I got it second hand a few years ago, following two other previous owners (who also probably seldom played it either). We all felt it was just too expensive to play... unless of course you are Ronnie Wood.  The guitar in question is one of probably less than 30 Disc Front Zemaitis guitars (originals).  I traded up to it... using many old guitars I purchased before the Vintage Guitar boom a few years ago (think '58 Blond Strat, that Eric Clapton's tech said sounded better than Eric's).  After getting it, the 'Z' went into a closet, only to be taken out for brief viewings... like the Shroud of Turin.  Well... now I am playing it every day.  there IS a difference between this guitar and all the others I have played in my life...THIS one plays like a living thing, or maybe the way a custom pair of hand-made boots fits on your feet.  I am playing it... because if that fire comes, I will not have any regrets.  I do want to mention... if you are well known, or have connections, the Fender Custom shop could custom make you a guitar, like they did for other rock Gods... custom to you hands, desires, etc... but I tell you this... it could only be as good as this guitar is to play... (even if I am only using it for rhythm guitar!)