*

*
*

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Question from Rockin' Rob R.


"I'm thinking of treating my beat to sh*t 1969 Tele, which I love, to a refinish for its 40th birthday!  Since it's already non-original (had been routed with a P90 when I got it, so I've never cared if it was pristine or factory original)...and now has a DeArmond Silverfoil in the neck...anyway...there's an early 60's Fender Custom color that's a sort of Granny Apple Green that would look great on this one...


2 Q's: 


1) Do you know any local techs who would/could do a great job on it?

2) It's kind of stripped bare at places...should I just leav it...would the paint do anything to the tone?


Thanks for any opinions".


You could contact Shooz Matthews across from the Hollywood Guitar Center... his EMail is shoozguitars@rock.com

The paint definitely effects tone... 

I have a 59 Esquire I was trying to sell to raise $$$... it had a pickup in the neck position once... then it was 'restored'

and original wiring put back.

It is amazing... you can definitely tell older wood when playing it... also older paint.

Do you have a photo of the guitar? Sounds like Seafoam Green....

I would contact Shooz Matthews in Hollywood; get him to shoot it your color, and then buff off some of it... then you throw it around a bit

for real dings. Leave it by the stage (under watchfull eye... give it a little beer... sort of like the way some

Rocker's treat their groupies...

Would love to see photo of the guitar to talk about it.... if Shooz doesn't work, then Performance Guitar down the hill

from me would 'shoot it' with nitro... they do a lot of glam rock bands stuff... work(ed) for Steve Vai and probably

'Rat Poison' (haha).. (cool on the Silverfoil pickup Rob!).


Let's see a photo of that pup....