*

*
*

Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Vote

Schallers, Klusons... which is the better tuning machine for your Fender guitar?  And why does Andy Summers (and so many other guitarists) want Schallers on their guitars, instead of Klusons?  How about the difference between true Vintage Klusons, and the 'newer' ones, that still have that vintage look? Well.. let's start with three guitars I own.  My true '58 Esquire has original like-new vintage Klusons... turn the tuner a little, and the string goes 'out' a whole note.
The thing pops and slips like a '58 Ford without snow tires in San Francisco snow.  This is so bad, I don't generally play this guitar, even though the old wood sounds much better than any new guitar ever could.  I also have another tele with mini-schallers... and they are as tight as John Paul Getty was with money.  Set those babies, and it stays in tune for days, while my original '58 goes out in minutes or seconds.  How about the 'new and improved' Klusons?  Well, my Jeff Beck Esquire goes out of tune every day, and always needs retuning... sometimes twice an hour... so my vote... Schallers! (for me).