*

*
*

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Worth Saying Again...

It really is worth saying again.  Human nature has implanted in all of us the weakness to fall for 'The Deal That Is Just Too Good To Be True'.... (and actually isn't...true).  As you may have read in previous posts... I bought a 50's Esquire from a very well known, highly advertised guitar dealer.  He never put it in writing (maybe a warning to the wise)... but did tell me on the phone... that the guitar was totally original.  Yes... it was totally original... but assembled from 2 guitars of roughly the same year.  That alone was not enough... it also at one time, had another pickup installed in the neck position, and the screw holes remained.  The price was the hook that pulled me in... it was 66% of the price an honest and original one would have cost, at my 'high-priced-but-totally-honest' local dealer.  I fell for it by purchasing the lemon, and of course, have now found out that I will be lucky to get out of it without a loss. As of this post, I am still waiting for it to sell with my local dealer (after 3 months).  Can you avoid this... absolutely! Will you avoid it though... that's my question?